Congratulations and welcome to the ACE family! Now that you’re certified, you can start applying for jobs and making a difference by helping people become more physically active.
You’ve passed your exam but remember the hard work doesn’t stop there. Now is the time to create a plan for the next steps of your journey. Much like fitness, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to creating a career, so this is your opportunity to choose what’s best for you. Here are five steps to enhance your job search:
- Review your materials, continue to learn, and prepare yourself for your career. It’s never too early to start earning continuing education credits (CECs) and exploring different specialties that appeal to you. For example, if you want to work with older adults, you might consider completing our Senior Fitness Specialist Program or other continuing education options that will prepare you to work with this population.
- Tailor your resume and cover letter to fit the position you are striving for. This is your opportunity to explain what you can do for the company and what skill sets you possess.
- Get experience! Shadow, volunteer, start at the front desk of a club, and develop professional relationships and networks with experienced trainers and other exercise professionals. For many people, starting in a health-club setting is a great way to gain experience and have other professionals around to help; it can also make it easier to attract clients and gain practical hands-on experience.
- Check out ACE partnerships for guaranteed interviews. Becoming an ACE Certified Professional opens up many doors in the fitness industry, including guaranteed interviews for qualifying positions at a wide range of health and fitness companies around the world.
- Seek out mentors, build your network and make real connections. Remember, we are all working toward a greater goal of helping others. Demonstrating to potential employers that you have already developed a professional network signals that you are well prepared to make waves in the health and fitness industry.
Now, it’s time to identify your purpose for becoming a certified health and exercise professional. What do you want to do, who do you want to work with and WHY? Finding your why will help you stay motivated and, in turn, enable you to really help others with their health and fitness goals.
Where do you want to work? Do you prefer a commercial, clinical, community or corporate environment? Do you want to work in a private setting, own your own company, train in people’s homes or online? There are so many different options for training these days. The same is true for working full- or part-time—what best suits your lifestyle and goals?
Changing careers or adding another job to your life can be overwhelming and stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. Change your perspective and remember that this is an exciting new opportunity to positively affect the lives of countless people. And the best part: How you do it is completely up to you.