ACE has declared the Wednesday before Thanksgiving Workout Wednesday! In an effort to inspire people to get moving and to engage in physical activity in the weeks leading up to the holiday season, we have created a workout series for every Wednesday in the month of November! To get involved, share a photo or video of yourself on social media performing the workouts using hashtag #WorkoutWednesday!
For many people, travel is a necessary component of life. Whether it’s for work, vacation or visiting family for the upcoming holiday season, your client’s ability to find the resources and time to stick to his or her regular workout regimen may not be possible. The following cardio workout, however, is one possible solution that you can offer your clients when they’re on the road, pressed for time and have no access to traditional equipment. This efficient workout uses non-traditional equipment and can be performed just about anywhere. For each exercise, complete 15 to 30 seconds with 15 to 30 seconds of rest between each set. Adjust the intensity by increasing the work time and decreasing the rest time.
Water Bottle High Knee Jogging
- Hold a water bottle in each hand in front of the chest.
- Drive the knees upward to bring the thighs parallel to the ground.
- Land softly on the balls of the feet and keep the core engaged to support the back.
Water Bottle Jumping Jacks
- Hold a water bottle in each hand and perform traditional jumping jacks.
Luggage Squat Press
- Drive the hips back into flexion while maintaining a neutral spine. Grasp under the suitcase with both hands.
- Explosively drive the hips forward and straighten the legs, while pressing the suitcase above the head.
- Straighten the arms overhead and keep the gaze forward.
- Lower the suitcase back to chest level and sit back into the squat.
Burpee With Tuck Jump
- Begin in an athletic stance, with knees slightly bent and feet hip-width apart.
- Drop the hands down toward the feet and kick the legs back into a plank position.
- Bend the elbows and perform a push-up.
- Jump the feet toward the hands and jump up to standing.
- While jumping in the air, pull the knees toward the chest.
- Land softly and repeat.
- Begin in a split lunge stance with both knees bent at 90 degrees and the feet facing forward.
- Keep the upper body tall and the head aligned with the spine.
- Draw the shoulders back and use both arms to increase power for the jump.
- Switch legs after each jump.
- Begin in an athletic stance while holding onto the corners of a towel (or two towels).
- Brace the core and create a “wave” motion with the towel by using the entire body.
- Engage the shoulders and back muscles to keep a flat back throughout the exercise.
Sliding Towel Mountain Climbers
- Begin in a plank position with each foot positioned on a small towel.
- Create a strong core by flexing the transverse abdominals before driving one knee forward while keeping the other leg fully extended.
- Rapidly switch legs to create a “climbing” movement.