We adapted a favorite recipe for conch creole to shrimp because conch can be hard to find in the U.S. You can also use scallops.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Gluten Free Diet Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Potassium Low Calorie Low Carb Low Sat Fat Low Sodium
||1 hr 15 min
||1 hr 30 min
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 bunches chives or 12 scallions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 1-2 Scotch bonnet chiles (or other very hot fresh chil, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme le
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1 cup fish stock or bottled clam juice
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 18 jumbo or 24 large shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoon lime juice, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, chives (or scallions), shallots, all but 1 teaspoon of the garlic, chiles, ginger and curry powder. Cook, stirring, until just beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, 1/2 cup parsley, cilantro, thyme and bay leaf. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in rum and bring to a boil. Add fish stock (or clam juice) and tomato paste. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened and well-flavored, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, place shrimp in a shallow glass dish and toss with 2 tablespoons lime juice, salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Stir the shrimp into the onion-tomato mixture. Gently simmer over low heat, turning occasionally, until the shrimp are curled and opaque, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon garlic. Taste and add more lime juice, if desired. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup parsley and serve immediately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 235
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 23g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 168mg
- Potassium: 871mg
- Sodium: 411mg
- Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1
EXTENDED! Act Now!
Personal Trainer Certification
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.