As cooler temperatures force us to spend more and more time indoors, you may be trying to figure out a few ways to help your kids burn off some of that energy, both for your own sanity and to help them get the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity per day for their mental and physical health. While sports programs and after-school activities can do the trick, they often cost money and require resources to help get the kids from here to there. Here is a fun idea you can do from the comfort of your home and it won’t cost you a thing.
THE HOME OBSTACLE CHALLENGE
Set up a relay or obstacle course around the house, apartment or yard, weather permitting. Set a goal, designate a prize and have fun!
Pick at least five different stations for the obstacle course. Here are some ideas:
1. Couch Sit and Jump: Sit slowly on the couch and then jump up with your feet. Land softly and repeat 20 times.
2. Kitchen Sock Running Man: Wear slippery socks in the kitchen and get into push-up position. Slide your feet up, down and all around for 30 seconds.
3. Hallway or Outdoor Shuttle Run: Pick a short distance and quickly sprint from one end to the other 10 times as fast as you can.
4. Doorway Jumps: Place a mat or small rug in the middle of the doorway. The goal is to jump from one side of the doorway to the other without touching the mat that is in the middle. Start by standing on your left foot and jump across the doorway landing on your right foot; return to the other side. Continue jumping side to side for 30 seconds.
5. Table or Couch Circle Run: Clear an area around your kitchen table or couch, whichever is safest to run around. Run as many circles clockwise around the table or couch as you can for 30 seconds and repeat going counterclockwise.
6. Remote Control Balance Touches: Hold onto a remote control and balance on your left leg. Try to touch the remote to the floor without using your right leg. Repeat 10 touches on the left leg and switch to the right. See how many touches you can do on each leg without help from the other leg.
7. Hot Steps: You only need one step in your house for this one. Standing at the bottom of that step, step up and down off the step as quickly and safely as you can. See how many times you can go up and down the step in 30 seconds.