- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4-1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, (see Ingredient note) or cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups roughly mashed bananas, (about 3 medium)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon milk, or buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon canola oil, divided
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and chipotle (or cayenne) in a medium bowl. Mix banana, egg and milk (or buttermilk) in another medium bowl. Add the cornmeal mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just incorporated.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; using 2 tablespoons of batter for each, space 5 fritters evenly in the pan. Cook until golden brown, 30 seconds to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Cook a second batch with the remaining oil and batter, adjusting heat to prevent burning.
Transfer the fritters to the oven and bake until puffed and firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 243
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 5g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- Potassium: 286mg
- Sodium: 326mg
- Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 starch
- Carbohydrate Servings: