- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal, preferably stone-ground (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoon cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon honey, (optional)
- 3-5 tablespoon low-fat milk
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse a few times to mix. Add cheese and butter and pulse again until the mixture looks pebbly with small oat-size lumps. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
Add sour cream, chives and honey (if using) and stir with a rubber spatula until almost combined. Add 3 tablespoons milk, stirring, just until the dough comes together; add more milk as needed until the dough holds together in a shaggy mass. Don’t overmix.
On a lightly floured surface, lightly pat the dough into a rectangle about 9 by 5 inches and just over 1/2 inch thick. Using a large chef’s knife, divide the dough evenly into 12 biscuits. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake the biscuits until lightly browned on top, 14 to 16 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 131
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 4g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Potassium: 39mg
- Sodium: 318mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1