- 3-3 1 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts), skin removed, trimmed (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus a pinch, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 16 large clov garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon finely minced fresh chives
Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towels and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil and butter in a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add half the chicken pieces and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a large plate. Add 2 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add the remaining chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to the plate.
Heat 2 more teaspoons oil. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until the shallots are soft and lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add vinegar and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pot. Pour in broth and then carefully nestle the thyme sprigs among the chicken pieces (or stir in dry thyme).
Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and simmer over medium-low heat until the chicken is very tender, about 50 minutes.
Just before the chicken is done, whisk sour cream, mustard, tomato paste and flour in a small bowl until smooth. Combine tomatoes, chives, the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and pinch of salt in another small bowl; reserve for garnish.
When the chicken is done, remove to a plate, discarding the thyme sprigs (if using). Stir the sour cream mixture into the sauce; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, return the chicken to the sauce and reheat, about 1 minute. Serve garnished with the tomato mixture.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 301
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fat: 14g
- Protein: 34g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 116mg
- Potassium: 612mg
- Sodium: 427mg
- Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2