- 2 tablespoon pink peppercorns, crushed, or 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 pound boneless veal loin, trimmed and cut into eight 1/2-inch-thick medallions
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 cup tangerine juice, or orange juice
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 scallions, chopped
Press peppercorns into both sides of veal medallions. (They will not completely coat the veal.) Season with salt.
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the veal and cook until golden outside and faintly pink inside, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add juice, vinegar and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in scallions and any accumulated juices from the veal. Season with salt. Divide the veal among 4 plates and top with the sauce. Serve immediately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 222
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 22g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Potassium: 455mg
- Sodium: 168mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1