- 1 pound medium shrimp, (30-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Salt & coarsely ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat linguine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 large clov garlic, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup brine-cured black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (optional)
Preheat grill to medium-high. Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil.
Thread shrimp onto skewers and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until just opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the shrimp from the skewers and cut each into 3 or 4 pieces. Set aside.
While the shrimp is grilling, cook linguine until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain but do not rinse.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until it just starts to brown, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, olives, the grilled shrimp and cooked linguine; cook, tossing, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, mix in the basil and season with pepper. Top with Parmesan, if using, and serve.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 522
- Carbohydrates: 74g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 37g
- Dietary Fiber: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 172mg
- Potassium: 788mg
- Sodium: 449mg
- Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 4