Curried Carrot & Apple Soup
This colorful soup is both simple and delicious. Use apples that cook up soft; McIntosh are great.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Gluten Free Diet Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Fiber Low Calorie Low Carb Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat Low Sodium
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 2 large McIntosh or other apples, peeled and coarsel, peeled and coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon low-fat plain yogurt, for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, dill or basil for garnish (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepan or medium soup pot over medium heat. Stir in onion and celery; cook until the onion is softened and translucent, 8 to 12 minutes; do not brown.
Stir in curry powder, then add carrots, apples and bay leaf. Stir well over medium heat for 2 minutes, then add broth and salt. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer until the carrots and apples are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer the soup solids to a food processor, adding about 1/2 cup of the broth; process to a smooth puree. Pour the puree back into the soup. Reheat and season with pepper. Serve piping hot, garnishing each serving, if you like, with a dab of yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 90
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fat: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Potassium: 233mg
- Sodium: 188mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1
ACE® Pro Compass has arrived!
It's time to map out the career you want. ACE® Pro
Compass will steer you in the right direction across all
stages of your professional journey.
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.