Vietnamese Steak Salad
Crisp spring greens, crunchy carrots and cucumbers are tossed with plenty of fresh herbs (a signature of Vietnamese cuisine) and a savory lemongrass vinaigrette in this refreshing salad. Topped with slices of grilled, marinated flank steak that are reminiscent of the street food of Hanoi, this dish makes an excellent lunch or light supper. Add a few slices of crusty baguette (also a Vietnamese tradition) to finish the plate.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Potassium Low Calorie Low Carb Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat
||4 hr 30 min
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce, (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chile oil
- 12 ounces flank steak, trimmed
- 8 cups watercress, or spinach, trimmed, rinsed and dried
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small stal lemongrass, trimmed and chopped
- 4 tablespoon chopped shallot, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
To prepare steak: Combine lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce and chile oil in a large sealable plastic bag. Add steak and seal the bag, turning to coat the meat with the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator, turning the bag occasionally, for 4 hours.
Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette: Combine broth, lemongrass and 2 tablespoons shallot in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain into a small bowl, discarding solids. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons shallot, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and chile oil; whisk to combine. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and mint.
Preheat grill to high.
Remove the steak from the marinade (discard marinade). Grill the steak, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly on the diagonal, across the grain.
To prepare salad: Toss watercress (or spinach), cucumber, carrot, cilantro and mint with 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette in a large shallow bowl. Arrange the steak over the greens. Spoon the remaining vinaigrette over the top and serve.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 224
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Potassium: 749mg
- Sodium: 715mg
- Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
ACE® Pro Compass has arrived!
It's time to map out the career you want. ACE® Pro
Compass will steer you in the right direction across all
stages of your professional journey.
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.