Caribbean Pork Curry (Porc Colombo)
Curry was brought to the Caribbean by British colonizers and the Indians they brought with them to work the sugar plantations. Our version uses lean, quick-cooking lean pork tenderloin.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Gluten Free Diet Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Fiber High Potassium Low Calorie Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat Low Sodium
- 12 ounces pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 large clov garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks (5 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 2-3 Scotch bonnet chiles, pierced all over with a fork
- 1 bay leaf
Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven or heavy soup pot over high heat. Add pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pot. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, curry powder, thyme, allspice and cinnamon; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
Add broth, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, chiles and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are very tender and the sauce has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
Add reserved pork and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Remove chiles and bay leaf. Adjust seasonings and serve.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 288
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 23g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Potassium: 1103mg
- Sodium: 228mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.