A tagine is a slow-cooked Moroccan stew (traditionally served over couscous)—but here it’s quicker and (dare we say it?) tastier, thanks in large part to the bright spike of kumquats.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Gluten Free Diet Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Fiber Low Calorie Low Sat Fat
||1 hr 45 min
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 14-ounce c vegetable broth
- 12 ounces kumquats, seeded (see Tip) and roughly chopped (2 cups)
- 1 15-ounce c chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoon honey
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Heat oil in an ovenproof casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add chicken; cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt, pepper and cloves; cook until aromatic, about 20 seconds. Stir in broth, kumquats, chickpeas and honey. Bring to a simmer.
Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the broth is bubbling and somewhat reduced, about 1 hour.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 391
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fat: 15g
- Protein: 34g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- Potassium: 407mg
- Sodium: 490mg
- Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.