Port & Dried Cherry Sauce
This richly flavored sauce is a lighter, faster spin on a classic sauce espagnole. It is great with pork tenderloin and roasted turkey breast as well as duck.
Nutirion Profile: Gluten Free Diet Healthy Weight Heart Healthy Low Calorie Low Carb Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat Low Sodium
||1 hr 10 min
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup white or cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 2 ounces Canadian-style bacon, diced (1/3 cup)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 port
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 14-ounce c reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup dried sour cherries
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, mushrooms and bacon; cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add 3/4 cup port and vinegar and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat until reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, tomato paste, garlic, thyme and crushed peppercorns and return to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the sauce from heat and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes.
Pass the sauce through a fine sieve into a small saucepan, pressing hard on solids to extract juices. Bring to a simmer.
Mix cornstarch with remaining 2 tablespoons port in a small bowl. Add to the sauce and whisk until thickened slightly.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cover cherries with boiling water. Let plump for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain and stir into sauce.
- Serving: Per tablespoon
- Calories: 50
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fat: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- Potassium: 93mg
- Sodium: 74mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.