Potato & Sweet Potato Torte
Layers of potatoes and sweet potatoes meld into an impressive vegetable "cake" that forms a golden crust during baking. Serve as a vegetarian centerpiece or with roast poultry or pork.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Gluten Free Diet Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Fiber High Potassium Low Calorie Low Carb Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat Low Sodium
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, trimmed, washed (see Tip) and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, (about 2 small), peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (2-4 medium), peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
Position oven rack at the lowest level; preheat to 450°F. Coat a 9 1/2-inch, deep-dish pie pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper or foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and thyme; cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. (If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water to prevent scorching.) Season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Arrange half the sweet potato slices, slightly overlapping, in the prepared pie pan and season with a little of the remaining salt and pepper. Spread one-third of the leeks over the top. Arrange half the potato slices over the leeks and season with salt and pepper. Top with another third of the leeks. Layer the remaining sweet potatoes, leeks and potatoes in the same manner. Cover the pan tightly with foil.
Bake the torte until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the torte to loosen it. Invert onto a serving plate. Remove paper or foil and serve.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 144
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fat: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Potassium: 704mg
- Sodium: 226mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.