- 6 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 3 cups mixed fresh berries, (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- 2 tablespoon creme de cassis, or black currant syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, lemon sorbet or raspberry sorbet, slightly softened before serving
- Lemon thyme sprigs for garnish
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Coat parchment with cooking spray.
To prepare cookie cups: Whisk flour, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Whisk egg whites, sugar, butter, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Add dry ingredients and whisk until blended.
For each cookie cup, spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons batter onto a prepared baking sheet, allowing 2 cookies per baking sheet. With an offset metal spatula, spread each mound of batter into a 5 1/2- to 6-inch circle.
Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, until golden brown around the edges, 8 to 12 minutes. Have ready two 12-ounce custard cups (or similar bowls with a 3-inch base). As soon as the cookies are done, loosen from parchment with a wide metal spatula, then set inside the cups. Gently press each cookie into the bottom of the cup and pleat the sides to form a tulip shape. (If cookies become too brittle to shape, return them to the oven for a minute or two to soften.)
To prepare compote: Place lemon thyme in a mortar or small bowl; bruise with a pestle or wooden spoon to release its fragrance. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup berries and mash with a fork. Add creme de cassis (or black currant syrup), lemon juice and sugar, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add remaining berries and stir gently to coat with sauce.
To assemble desserts: Place cookie cups on individual plates. Fill each with a scoop of ice cream (or sorbet), spoon on compote and garnish with lemon thyme sprigs.