Alpine Mushroom Pasta
In northern Italy, the influences of neighboring Austria and Switzerland are apparent in dishes like this pasta featuring Savoy cabbage and mushrooms in a light wine sauce. Serve with Caesar salad and bread sticks.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Calcium High Fiber High Potassium Low Calorie Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 6 cups shredded Savoy cabbage, (about 1 small head)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup diced smoked cheese, such as smoked mozzarella, Cheddar or gouda
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage, or 3/4 teaspoon dried
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 4 minutes. Add cabbage and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and cabbage are tender, about 4 minutes more. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and drain the pasta and cabbage.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are tender and beginning to release their liquid, about 5 minutes.
Whisk wine and flour in a small bowl. Add to the pan along with salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until just beginning to break down, about 1 minute more.
Return the pasta and cabbage to the pot. Add the mushroom sauce, the reserved cooking liquid, cheese and sage; gently toss to combine.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 278
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 13g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Potassium: 633mg
- Sodium: 536mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.