Cheesy Chicken Pasta
This ooey-gooey pasta dish is a crowd-pleaser for adults and kids alike—think rich and creamy macaroni-and-cheese tossed with cauliflower and chicken. Serve with a spinach salad.
Nutirion Profile: Heart Healthy High Calcium High Fiber Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne
- 2 cups 1/2-inch cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère, or Swiss cheese
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken, or turkey (12 ounces; see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower florets and cook until the pasta and florets are tender, about 4 minutes more. Drain, rinse and return to the pot.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute. Whisk milk, flour, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl and add to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until smooth. Stir chicken (or turkey) and mustard into the cheese sauce; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Stir the sauce into the drained pasta and cauliflower. Serve sprinkled with chives (or scallion greens).
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 433
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fat: 13g
- Protein: 34g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Potassium: 483mg
- Sodium: 491mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 low-fat milk, 3 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.