Here’s a one-skillet version of chicken and stuffing made with wholesome ingredients. We use chicken thighs because we love the rich flavor of dark meat, but boneless, skinless breast works too. Serve with Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Potassium Low Calorie Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 5 slices whole-wheat country bread, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free poultry seasoning, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 4 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups quartered mushrooms, (6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine, or dry sherry
Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add celery and shallot; cook, stirring, until the shallot begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add bread and poultry seasoning; cook, stirring, until the celery has softened and the bread begins to crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the stuffing to a medium bowl and toss with 1/4 cup broth; set aside. Wipe out the pan.
Toss chicken with 2 tablespoons flour, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Whisk the remaining 1 1/4 cups broth with the remaining 2 tablespoons flour in a small bowl and set aside.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add the chicken (shaking off any excess flour) and mushrooms; cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high; add wine (or sherry) and cook, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon, until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes more. Spoon the reserved stuffing over the chicken mixture. Transfer the pan to the oven and broil until the stuffing begins to crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 401
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fat: 17g
- Protein: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Potassium: 515mg
- Sodium: 481mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
EXTENDED! Act Now!
Personal Trainer Certification
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.