Rack of Lamb with Warm Apple & Lentil Salad
Mustard and rosemary complement rich lamb and earthy lentils in this elegant meal. Don’t let rack of lamb intimidate you. It is simple to prepare.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Fiber Low Calorie Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat Low Sodium
- 2 tablespoon coarse dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 1 1/2-pound rack of lamb, Frenched and trimmed (see Tip)
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard, divided
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce c lentils, rinsed, or 1 1/3 cups cooked lentils
- 1 Granny Smith apple, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or water
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar, or cider vinegar
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Mix breadcrumbs, 1/2 teaspoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add lamb, meat-side down, and sear until browned, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn it over and spread 2 teaspoons mustard over the meat. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the mustard. Transfer the lamb to the oven and roast until a thermometer inserted in the center registers 140°F for medium-rare, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
Return the pan to medium-high heat (be careful: the handle will still be hot). Add shallots, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until starting to soften, about 1 minute. Stir in lentils, apple, celery, broth (or water), vinegar and the remaining 1 teaspoon mustard; bring to a lively simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is slightly reduced and the celery and apple are starting to soften, about 4 minutes. Cut the lamb into 8 chops and serve over the lentils.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 285
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 29g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- Potassium: 362mg
- Sodium: 429mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 4 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.