Saute of Chicken with Apples & Leeks
Fragrant with flavors of fall, this easy chicken sauté turns a weeknight supper into a special occasion.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Gluten Free Diet Healthy Weight Heart Healthy Low Calorie Low Carb Low Sat Fat Low Sodium
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1-1 1/4 , trimmed
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large leeks, white parts only, washed and cut into julienne strips (2 cups)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 firm tart apples, such as York or Granny Smith, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin or a small heavy pot to pound them to a thickness of 1/2 inch.
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook until browned on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
Reduce the heat to low. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and leeks. Cook, stirring, until the leeks are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, sugar and rosemary and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes more. Increase the heat to medium-high, stir in vinegar and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Add apples and broth and cook, stirring once or twice, until the apples are tender, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and return the chicken and any juices to the pan. Simmer gently until the chicken is heated through. Serve immediately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 235
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 25g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- Potassium: 346mg
- Sodium: 245mg
- Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.