Middle Eastern Burgers
Exotic-tasting spices and chopped prunes give Middle Eastern flair to these truly succulent burgers. Serve with Yogurt-Garlic Sauce, slices of ripe tomato, lettuce and sharp red onion.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Fiber High Potassium Low Calorie Low Sat Fat Low Sodium
- 1/3 cup bulgur, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 warm water, divided
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion, (1 small)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup pitted prunes, finely chopped (2 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 small whole-wheat pita breads
Combine bulgur with 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl; let soak until the bulgur is tender and most of the water has been absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain any excess liquid.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until the onion softens, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and prunes; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Don't let the garlic burn. Stir in cumin, coriander and allspice; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add remaining 2 tablespoons water; cook until it is absorbed, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
Combine beef, egg, salt, pepper, the onion-prune mixture and the bulgur in a mixing bowl; mix thoroughly. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
Lightly oil the grill rack (hold a piece of oil-soaked paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grate). Grill the burgers over medium heat, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Warm pitas on the grill, if desired. Serve the burgers with the pitas.
- Serving: Per serving (with 90%-lea
- Calories: 339
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fat: 12g
- Protein: 24g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 108mg
- Potassium: 527mg
- Sodium: 373mg
- Exchanges: 21/2 starch, 3 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.