Southwestern Rice & Pinto Bean Salad
The slightly chewy texture of ruddy-red Wehani rice makes it perfect for salads. Serve it mounded on a bed of Boston lettuce or curly frisée.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Gluten Free Diet Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Fiber Low Calorie Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat Low Sodium
- 1 cup Wehani brown rice, (see Note) or brown basmati rice
- 2-2 1 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, or 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 15-ounce c pinto beans, rinsed
- 8 scallions, trimmed and sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium bell pepper, (green, yellow, orange or red), chopped (about 1 cup)
Combine rice and water (2 cups water if using brown basmati) in a 3-quart saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until all the water has been absorbed, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from heat; let rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Spread the rice out on a large baking sheet until cooled to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, toast cumin in a small skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant and lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes for seeds, 1 minute for ground cumin. Transfer to a blender or food processor and let cool for several minutes. Add oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper and process until the garlic is finely chopped.
Transfer the rice to a large bowl and toss with beans, scallions and bell pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 325
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 10g
- Dietary Fiber: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Potassium: 513mg
- Sodium: 125mg
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.