- 1 small eggplant, (about 12 ounces), trimmed, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 28-ounce c plum tomatoes with juices
- 2 tablespoon torn fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 large eggs
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella, thinly sliced and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 4 1/2-inch-t Italian bread, preferably whole-wheat
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
Combine eggplant, onion, zucchini, bell pepper and garlic in a large bowl; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; toss to coat. Spread the vegetables on the prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
Roast the vegetables, uncovered, turning often, until lightly browned and tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cut tomatoes into chunks. Stir the tomatoes (and their juices), basil and parsley into the vegetables. Cover with foil.
Bake until the ratatouille is hot and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven.
With a large spoon, make four evenly spaced indentations in the hot ratatouille. Carefully break an egg into each indentation. Sprinkle cheese over the vegetables and eggs. Bake, uncovered, until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
While the eggs are baking, toast bread and drizzle each slice with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Divide bread slices among 4 plates or shallow soup bowls.
To serve, lift an egg and ratatouille from the baking dish and place on top of a slice of toasted bread. Spoon the remaining vegetables and juices around the edges, distributing evenly. Garnish with more basil, if desired.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 402
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fat: 20g
- Protein: 20g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 11g
- Cholesterol: 212mg
- Potassium: 419mg
- Sodium: 544mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2