- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped California Ripe Olives
- 8 slices sourdough bread, preferably whole-grain
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, preferably smoked, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let plump for 10 minutes.
On a cutting board, mash the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt with the side of a knife until it’s a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in 1 tablespoon oil, the lemon juice and crushed red pepper.
Drain the tomatoes and finely chop. Add to the bowl with the dressing, along with the olives; mix well.
Spread the tomato mixture on half the bread. Layer on cheese slices, some pepper, then the tomato slices; season with salt and vinegar. Top with several basil leaves. Brush the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the remaining bread slices and set them on the sandwiches.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 351
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 18g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Potassium: 279mg
- Sodium: 740mg
- Exchanges: 1 very-lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 2 starch
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2