- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 6 green olives, (see Tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads
- 2 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese, or more to taste
Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, thyme, pepper and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until the onions are very soft, about 8 minutes. Add olives and remove from the heat.
Place pitas on a baking sheet. Divide the onion mixture between the pitas and spread to the edges; sprinkle with feta. Bake until the cheese is golden, about 10 minutes.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 433
- Carbohydrates: 56g
- Fat: 19g
- Protein: 12g
- Dietary Fiber: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 12g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Potassium: 128mg
- Sodium: 797mg
- Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3