- 6 ounces penne, or ziti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 14-ounce c plum tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoon freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Cook penne (or ziti) in boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until garlic is browned, about 2 minutes. Remove and discard garlic. Add tomatoes, mashing them into the flavored oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
Drain pasta and add to sauce. Toss over high heat until hot. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add cheese and parsley and divide between 2 warmed plates. Serve immediately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 455
- Carbohydrates: 69g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 15g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Potassium: 33mg
- Sodium: 319mg
- Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 4