- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (about 1 pound), trimmed of fat
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese, (2 ounces)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup seasoned (Italian-style) breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a chicken breast, skinned-side down, on a cutting board. Keeping the blade of a sharp knife parallel to the board, make a horizontal slit along the thinner, long edge of the breast, cutting nearly through to the opposite side. Open the breast so it forms two flaps, hinged at the center. Place a slice of cheese on one flap, leaving a 1/2-inch border at the edge. Press remaining flap down firmly over the cheese and set aside. Repeat with the remaining breasts.
Lightly beat egg whites with a fork in a medium bowl. Mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Holding a stuffed breast together firmly, dip it in the egg whites and then roll in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining breasts.
Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed breasts and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn the breasts over and place the skillet in the oven.
Bake the chicken until no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 258
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 34g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
- Potassium: 364mg
- Sodium: 536mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 very lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2