- 6 large bell peppers, tops cut off, seeded
- 12 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage links, removed from casings
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup finely shredded smoked cheese, such as mozzarella, Cheddar or Gouda, divided
Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
Place peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Fill the dish with 1/2 inch of water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain the water and transfer the peppers to a roasting pan.
Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes and rice; increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the rice is softened but still moist, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, until the rice absorbs the remaining liquid, about 5 minutes.
Stir basil and half the cheese into the rice mixture. Divide the filling among the peppers, then top with the remaining cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 294
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 19g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Potassium: 418mg
- Sodium: 533mg
- Exchanges: 1.5 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2