- 1 pound ground bison
- 1/2 cup cooked spinach, squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably sheep’s-milk
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup nonfat or low-fat Greek-style plain yogurt, (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 4 French rolls, or 4-inch pieces of baguette, preferably whole-wheat, split and toasted
- 16 thin slice English cucumber
- 8 slices vine-ripened tomato
- 4 thin round red onion
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Place bison, spinach, feta, 2 teaspoons dill, oregano, cumin, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large mixing bowl. Gently combine without overmixing. Form into 4 oval-shaped patties roughly the size of the rolls.
Oil the grill rack (see Tip, below). Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 155°F, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
To prepare yogurt sauce: Combine yogurt, lemon zest and juice, 1 teaspoon dill and mint in a small bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Assemble the burgers on rolls with the yogurt sauce, cucumber, tomato and onion.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 392
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fat: 16g
- Protein: 35g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Potassium: 458mg
- Sodium: 671mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2