- 1/2 cup bulgur, (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 28-ounce c diced tomatoes
- 4 cups diced plum tomatoes, (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups cubed whole-wheat country bread
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, (optional)
Place bulgur in a medium bowl and cover generously with hot water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Drain in a fine sieve, pressing to remove excess liquid.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 1 minute. Stir in canned tomatoes and plum tomatoes; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Partially cover and let simmer while you prepare meatballs.
Place bread in a medium bowl and cover with cold water. Let soak for a few minutes. Drain and squeeze out moisture.
Whisk egg and egg white in a large bowl. Add the bulgur, the bread, beef, Parmesan, cinnamon, pepper and salt. Gently combine with a potato masher and/or your hands. Form into 20 oval meatballs about 2 inches long.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; blot with paper towels. Brown the remaining meatballs.
Mash the simmering tomato sauce with a potato masher to break down any large chunks of tomato. Add the meatballs to the sauce. Simmer over low heat, partially covered, for 50 minutes.
Taste the sauce and add sugar, if it seems tart, and additional pepper to taste. Serve the meatballs with the sauce.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 283
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 23g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Potassium: 271mg
- Sodium: 687mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1