- 1 small eggplant, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 4-ounce ja roasted red peppers, (about 1/3 cup), rinsed and chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 crusty whole-wheat rolls
Preheat grill or broiler to high.
Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. If using a grill, oil the grill rack. Brush 1/2 teaspoon oil over both sides of the eggplant. Grill or broil until it is lightly browned and tender, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Coarsely chop the eggplant and combine with red peppers in a small bowl. Season with pepper.
Mash feta with a fork in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, oregano, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil; blend until smooth and spreadable. Season with pepper.
Slice rolls in half horizontally and scoop out about 1 inch of the soft interior from each half. Divide and spread the seasoned feta in the bottom half of each roll. Spoon the chopped eggplant and peppers over the cheese and replace the top half of each roll.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 294
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 13g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Potassium: 181mg
- Sodium: 829mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3