- 6 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds,crushed
- 1 16-ounce j marinara sauce
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne, or ziti
- 6 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces, until no pink remains, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels; wipe out the pan.
Heat oil in the pan over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seeds and cook for 1 minute more. Add marinara sauce and the cooked sausage. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook penne (or ziti) in boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and place in a large warm bowl. Add the sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 393
- Carbohydrates: 69g
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 16g
- Dietary Fiber: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Potassium: 438mg
- Sodium: 653mg
- Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 4