- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, slivered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce c crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil, divided, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon mild honey
- 1 15-ounce c cannellini beans, rinsed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Cook barley in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
Meanwhile, place eggplant in a large colander and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water and squeeze firmly to remove excess moisture.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until beginning to color, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in prepared eggplant, tomatoes, 2 tablespoons basil, lemon juice and honey. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until the eggplant is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Stir in reserved barley and beans and heat for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in remaining 2 tablespoons chopped basil. Serve hot, garnished with whole basil leaves.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 323
- Carbohydrates: 72g
- Fat: 4g
- Protein: 11g
- Dietary Fiber: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Potassium: 1037mg
- Sodium: 614mg
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2