- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 8 large clov garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 pound whole-wheat fettuccine
- 2 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Put a large pot of water on to boil.
Combine milk and garlic in a heavy medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer gently until the garlic is tender and the milk has reduced to 1 1/2 cups, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Puree milk and garlic in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.) Return to the pan and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Keep the sauce warm.
Meanwhile, cook fettuccine until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a warmed large bowl.
Whisk cream cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan into the sauce. Add to the fettuccine and toss well. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately, passing the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 361
- Carbohydrates: 63g
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 19g
- Dietary Fiber: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Potassium: 210mg
- Sodium: 413mg
- Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2