- 3 cloves garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste, (optional)
- 2 small fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 small all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 14-ounce c plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, juice reserved
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoon fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 pounds sea bass, halibut or cod, skinned and cut into 6 pieces
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Mince 2 cloves of garlic and place in a small bowl. Whisk in 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and anchovy paste, if using. Combine sliced fennel and onion in a 9-by-13-inch roasting pan; add dressing and toss to coat.
Roast fennel mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until softened, 20 to 25 minutes.
Add potatoes, tomatoes and their juice, water, 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil and bake until potatoes are tender, 35 to 40 minutes more.
Meanwhile, mince remaining clove of garlic and place in a small bowl. Add breadcrumbs, fennel seeds, lemon zest, remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Mix with your fingers until blended.
Once potatoes are tender, place fish on top of vegetables and sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over all.
Roast, uncovered, until the fish is opaque in the center and breadcrumbs are browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 344
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Potassium: 1426mg
- Sodium: 550mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2