- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 28-ounce c whole tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- 6 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
Cut broccoli florets from stems and cut them into 1-inch pieces. Peel, halve and slice stems.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, anchovy paste and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broccoli stems, tomatoes and their juice and bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Add broccoli florets; cover and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, 9 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; toss with sauce. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 176
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 10g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Potassium: 382mg
- Sodium: 382mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1