Indian-Spiced Chicken Pitas for Two
Make a perfect summer supper for two: grill spice-rubbed chicken breasts and tuck them into whole-wheat pitas along with fresh vegetables and a tangy yogurt sauce.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Fiber Low Calorie Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat
- 3/4 teaspoon garam masala, (see Shopping Tip), divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced seeded cucumber
- 6 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro, or mint
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 small or 1/2 large tomato, sliced
- 1/8 cup thinly sliced red onion
Preheat grill to medium-high or position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
If grilling, oil the grill rack (see Tip). If broiling, coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place the chicken on the grill rack or prepared pan and cook until no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 4 to 8 minutes per side, depending on the size of the breast. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine cucumber, yogurt, cilantro (or mint), lemon juice, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon garam masala and 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Thinly slice the chicken. Split open the warm pitas and fill with the chicken, yogurt sauce, lettuce, tomato and onion.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 350
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fat: 4g
- Protein: 34g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Potassium: 458mg
- Sodium: 662mg
- Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Book with the Best
Reach your goals! Find and schedule an ACE Personal Trainer with ease. Save the energy for the workout. Meet Your Match
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.