This spicy burger is served on an oblong roll, slathered with a spicy chipotle mayonnaise and topped with roasted Anaheim peppers and a delicious slaw.
Nutirion Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Healthy Weight High Calcium High Fiber High Potassium Low Calorie Low Cholesterol
- 1 pound 90%-lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, preferably New Mexican
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 French rolls, preferably whole-wheat, split and toasted
- 2 roasted Anaheim or poblano peppers, (see Tip)
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 thin slice red onion
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Place beef, 1/4 cup cilantro, onion, scallions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Gently combine, without overmixing, until evenly incorporated. Form into 4 equal patties, about 1/2 inch thick and oval-shaped to match the rolls.
Combine the remaining 1/2 cup cilantro, mayonnaise, lime juice and chipotle in a small bowl.
Peel the roasted peppers, halve lengthwise and remove the seeds.
Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, about 6 minutes per side. Top with cheese and cook until it is melted, about 1 minute more.
Assemble the burgers on toasted rolls with the chipotle mayonnaise, half a roasted pepper, cabbage, tomato and onion.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 416
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fat: 19g
- Protein: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Potassium: 628mg
- Sodium: 695mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 1/2 medium-fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Book with the Best
Reach your goals! Find and schedule an ACE Personal Trainer with ease. Save the energy for the workout. Meet Your Match
Get in the Know
Stay connected with us to get the latest health and fitness news, innovative workouts, healthy recipes and wellness tips.