INCREASE LONGEVITY AND BOOST QUALITY OF LIFE
Becoming an ACE Senior Fitness Specialist will give you the tools to safely and effectively train the millions of Americans currently over the age of 55. Aside from exploring how to connect with older adults, the expertise you’ll gain will help you incorporate appropriate modifications and techniques to prevent muscle deterioration, improve bone strength, and boost quality of life.
Who is it designed for?
Our Senior Fitness Specialist Program is designed for fitness and health professionals who want to help people over 55 increase their longevity and boost their quality of life. Instructors of adult fitness programs at colleges and community centers, as well as personal trainers, health coaches, nurses, social workers and physical therapists can all use the expertise to deliver appropriate exercise programs that combat the effects of osteoporosis, arthritis and other age-specific conditions.
How do I earn one?
To become an ACE Senior Fitness Specialist, candidates must complete all educational modules included in our digital learning platform. Although you may complete courses for any specialist program, only those who also hold a current NCCA-accredited certification or an equivalent professional credential will be recognized as an ACE Specialist. For a list of accepted pre-requisite credentials, click here.
After you complete all courses and quizzes, the continuing education credits (CECs) will be uploaded into your My ACE Account. The purchase price includes all materials and fees necessary to become a specialist, and your designation as a specialist will not expire.
Have other questions about ACE Specialist Programs? Check out our list of FAQs.
The ACE Senior Fitness Specialist Program is approved for 2.5 ACE CECs. The program is also approved by the following organizations for continuing education hours:
25.0 Contact Hours
Our ACE Senior Fitness Course is comprised of three components – our ACE Senior Fitness Manual, a three-part video series featuring ACE Fitness Expert Sabrena Merrill, and our ACE Senior Fitness Quiz. Merrill, a longtime ACE-certified Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor and Health Coach, covers how to safely and effectively help older adults meet their fitness goals.
Learn More »
ACE SENIOR FITNESS MANUAL
Our ACE Senior Fitness Manual is an essential tool for any health and fitness professional who works with adults ranging in age from 50 to over 100. The key to working with this diverse population is overcoming any misconceptions and treating each client individually in terms of personality, needs, goals, stage of readiness and physical activity experience. The manual, which covers a wide range of programming options, assessments and communication techniques, is the most up-to-date, comprehensive source for professionals helping senior adults reach their health and fitness goals.
ACE PRESENTS SENIOR FITNESS
Our three-part video series will help you put your knowledge of working with older adults into action. ACE Fitness Expert Sabrena Merrill, an ACE-certified Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor and Health Coach, will lead you through a series of core, balance and functional assessments appropriate for senior clients. You’ll then cover demonstrations and progressions of exercises based on the ACE Integrated Fitness Training® model, and special considerations specific to working with older adults.
ACE SENIOR FITNESS QUIZ
The ACE Senior Fitness Quiz will gauge your understanding of material you reviewed in both the ACE Senior Fitness Manual and our ACE Presents Senior Fitness video. The 60-question, multiple-choice quiz is delivered in a convenient, online format you can complete from your home or office.
The Assessments for Seniors Course consists of a comprehensive manual that covers physical fitness and mobility assessments specific for senior adults. You’ll learn how to use those assessments to identify weaknesses, evaluate progress and deliver safe and effective exercise programs that help older adults meet their goals. In addition to the manual, the course has an associated quiz.
Learn More »
SENIOR FITNESS TEST MANUAL
The Senior Fitness Test Manual, complete with an accompanying DVD, offers a comprehensive and reliable test battery for assessing physical fitness in older adults. You’ll learn to identify weaknesses that cause mobility problems, and develop exercise programs that improve functional fitness, prevent future mobility issues, and evaluate progress. Written by Roberta E. Rikli, Ph.D., and C. Jessie Jones, Ph.D., the text clearly states how to prepare and administer seven different assessments, and how to interpret results.
ASSESSMENTS FOR SENIORS QUIZ
Based on the Senior Fitness Test Manual, the 30-question quiz is delivered in the same convenient online format as our ACE Senior Fitness Specialty Certification Quiz. Gauge your knowledge of assessments covered in the text and how you can use them to identify weaknesses and evaluate progress.
The Nutrition for Seniors Course consists of the What’s On Your Plate? electronic publication, a project of the National Institute on Aging, and an associated quiz. You’ll learn specific nutritional strategies for older adults by utilizing a compelling series of articles, charts and tip sheets. Discover specific nutritional strategies for older adults, as well as tactics that will help you answer common questions and lead older adults to long-term change.
Learn More »
WHAT’S ON YOUR PLATE
What’s On Your Plate? Smart Food Choices for Healthy Aging provides user-friendly content on proper nutritional planning, food shopping, food safety and energy balance. A project of the National Institute on Aging (NIA), the electronic publication utilizes nutrition recommendations for older adults as stated in the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Delivered in PDF format, What’s On Your Plate? provides health and fitness professionals practical tips they can offer to clients to help them achieve true lifestyle change.
NUTRITION FOR SENIORS QUIZ
Based on What’s On Your Plate? Smart Food Choices for Healthy Aging, this 30-question quiz is delivered in the same convenient online format as our ACE Senior Fitness Quiz. Test the knowledge you’ve gained regarding nutrition recommendations for older adults and practical tips you can use to connect with senior clients.
With more than 25 percent of Americans over the age of 65, learning to safely and effectively train senior adults could mean a tremendous business opportunity for you. Make training more accessible to older adults by learning how you can train them in their homes. Discover balance and movement challenges for the core, upper and lower body, and exercise modifications that take into account considerations applicable to senior clients. Includes 20-question online quiz you may complete at home.
Learn More »
With more than 25 percent of Americans over the age of 65, learning to safely and effectively train senior adults could mean a tremendous business opportunity for you. Make training more accessible to older adults by learning how you can train them in their homes. Discover balance and movement challenges for the core, upper and lower body, and exercise modifications that take into account considerations applicable to senior clients. Includes a 20-question online quiz you can complete from your home or office.
You will learn:
- Role of exercise in restoring or maintaining functional independence in older adults
- Program design and safety considerations for working with senior clients at home
- Development of a home exercise program with progressions for core, balance, lower- and upper-body strength, integrated whole-body movements, and stretching for older adults
Discover specific techniques to help you train clients suffering from arthritis, a joint disorder that affects 27 million Americans each day. Learn to safely and effectively design programs for this special population based on insight from the Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals and the Arthritis Foundation.
Learn More »
Developed in partnership with the Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals and the Arthritis Foundation, this online course addresses how to train clients suffering from the most common joint disorder in the United States. With 27 million Americans over age 25 affected by arthritis, specializing in this field could equate to more business.
You will learn:
- Disease process, symptoms and treatment strategies for osteoarthritis and other types of arthritis
- Exercise benefits and potential risks for clients with arthritis, as well as guidelines for flexibility, range of motion, strength training, and cardiovascular exercise
- Specific exercise tips and joint protection strategies
The American Council on Exercise reserves the right to discontinue the sale and/or support of any continuing education course at any time, in order to cancel, correct, or update content based on current industry standards, guidelines, and/or technological advances. Notification will be given 6 months prior to expiration to allow for course completion and no refund will be given for expiring courses.
The free recertification voucher offer is only available with purchases made during the promotion (2/6-2/20). Specialist programs and additional certifications purchased prior to, or after, the promotion are not eligible for a free recertification voucher.
RECERTIFICATION VOUCHER TERMS & CONDITIONS
- In order to redeem a recertification voucher, ACE Certified Professionals must meet all recertification requirements and still move through the purchase process required for recertification. Once they add recertification to their virtual cart at ACEfitness.org, the voucher will be detected and the item discount will be recognized. This transaction must be separate from the original qualifying purchase.
- There is no limit to the number of recertification vouchers an ACE Certified Professional may receive.
- Recertification vouchers must be must be used within 30 months of purchase date of qualifying materials.
- Recertification vouchers awarded to ACE Certified Professionals who hold more than one certification will be automatically applied to the next on-time recertification processed, not necessarily the next certification up for renewal.
- Recertification vouchers are only applicable for on-time recertifications, and may not be applied to late recertifications that incur additional fees.
- Recertification vouchers are non-transferable and hold no cash value.
- Recertification voucher promotions override all other discount programs and may not be used in conjunction with other discounts.
- ACE Certified Professionals who utilize the payment plan option for materials may redeem their recertification voucher once all payments have been made.
- Refunds on materials will not be granted to those who have redeemed their recertification voucher.
- Those who receive refunds on materials are not eligible to redeem their recertification voucher.