The National Physical Activity Plan Alliance just released the first-ever comprehensive report card on walking and walkable communities in the United States.
How did we do as a nation?
Well, it’s safe to say that Lady Liberty will not be putting this report card on the national refrigerator.
The report card covers nine areas of walking and walkability. The nation’s high-water mark is a “C” in the category of “Adult Walking Behavior.” The grades are dismal in all other categories: Children and Youth Walking Behavior (F), Pedestrian Infrastructure (F), Safety (F), Pedestrian Policies (D), Institutional Policies (F), Public Transportation (F), Walkable Neighborhoods (D) and Walking Programs (Incomplete).
Certainly, these grades are disheartening. However, the true purpose of any report card is not to shame or discourage, but to help draft a path forward for progress and improvement. And, we at ACE are hopeful that this report card will serve to mobilize a broad cross-section of Americans – exercise professionals, health professionals, policymakers, walking coaches, public health professionals, good neighbors, etc. —to advocate, strongly and with great perseverance, for more walking and walkable communities. We must improve those grades!
ACE’s support and advocacy for more walking and walkable communities is a pillar of our mission to get people moving and our commitment to reversing the dual epidemics of physical inactivity and obesity. We believe that promoting walking is fundamental to creating communities that value and support physically active lifestyles for all people, regardless of age, ability, race, gender or socio-economic status.
ACE offers several resources related to walking, including:
- Toolkit - Walk This Way! was created for individuals, community organizations, faith-based institutions, schools, employers, and other organizations to encourage and support individuals and community groups to walk more, implement organized walking programs and create walkable environments so they can live sustainable, healthy lifestyles.
- Toolkit - Walk the Talk! was designed to help exercise and health professionals develop and lead safe and effective walking programs, and become advocates for more walkable communities nationwide.
- Webinar – “Creating Successful Community Walking Programs”
- Webinar – “Making Walkable Communities the Norm”
- Expert Article – “How Walking Meetings Improve Productivity”
- Expert Article – “Take a Walk Together”
View the full Walking and Walkable Communities Report Card here:
Are you making a difference in your community through a walking program? Please tell us about it! We can be reached Advocacy@ACEfitness.org.