0.1 ACE CECs
- Continuing Education
Understanding Thyroid Disease: Exercise Programming for Client Success
|Provider:||ACE - American Council On Exercise|
|CEC Credits:||ACE 0.1 CECs , ACSM - American College Of Sports Medicine 1.0 CECs|
Helping Your Clients Thrive
More than 20 million Americans suffer from a thyroid condition*—including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, thyroid cancer and Grave’s Disease. Thyroid disease can be both physically and emotionally debilitating and can adversely affect the body’s metabolism, leading to rapid weight gain or loss, extreme fatigue, muscle weakness—and even depression. Exercise can help, but those with thyroid disease can become easily frustrated by a lack of progress and feelings of exhaustion. Perhaps no one knows this better than Andrea Leonard, a thyroid cancer survivor and founder of the Cancer Exercise Training Institute.
In this course, Andrea will address how the disease affects the human body (from diagnosis to treatment), as well as teach you how to develop safe and effective training programs for clients who suffer from it. Most importantly, you’ll learn how to build rapport and trust through understanding and empathy, helping you to keep your clients confident and motivated. Armed with this information, you’ll be positioned to make a positive physical and emotional impact on an underserved population.
You will learn:
- The symptoms of thyroid cancer and Grave’s disease, and how they affect the human body.
- How Grave’s Disease can affect pregnancy—both mother and child.
- The differences between hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism and their effects on metabolism.
- To develop sensible periodization principles based on the client’s age, fitness level, emotional state and reaction to treatment.
- To develop exercise programs that help boost metabolism and increase weight loss and lean muscle gain.
American Council on Exercise reserves the right to discontinue the sale or support of any product at any time, to remove, correct, or update content based on current industry standards, guidelines, or technological advances. Notification will be given to those who have purchased such products six months prior to expiration. No refund will be given for expiring products.