- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, (see Note), minced, or 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 pound portobello mushroom caps, (about 5 medium), gills removed, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 8- to 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Combine barbecue sauce, tomato paste, vinegar and chipotle in a medium bowl.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring, until the onion and mushrooms are beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the barbecue sauce; stir to combine. Wipe out the pan.
Place tortillas on a work surface. Spread 3 tablespoons cheese on half of each tortilla and top with one-fourth (about 1/2 cup) of the filling. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 2 quesadillas and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into wedges and serve.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 311
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fat: 13g
- Protein: 11g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Potassium: 771mg
- Sodium: 710mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2