- 1 cup plus 2 old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, (optional)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole flaxseeds, ground (see Ingredient notes)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pitted dates, (see Ingredient notes)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
Spread 1 cup oats and the walnuts, if using, in 2 separate small baking pans. Bake, stirring once or twice, until light golden and fragrant, 4 to 6 minutes for the nuts and 8 to 10 minutes for the oats. Transfer to a plate to cool.
Meanwhile, whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk, orange juice, oil, orange zest and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened. Fold in dates, the toasted oats and nuts, if using. Scoop batter into the prepared muffin cups (they'll be quite full). Sprinkle the tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons oats.
Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
- Serving: Per muffin
- Calories: 252
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 6g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- Potassium: 194mg
- Sodium: 195mg
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2