- 3 large eggs
- Salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, Walla Walla or Maui, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 22-inch-long baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 1 small clov garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 6 imported black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup mesclun, or lamb’s lettuce (mâche) (see Ingredient note)
Hard-boil eggs (see Tip). Peel when cool enough to handle. Set aside one of the yolks for the dressing. Coarsely chop the remaining eggs.
Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until very tender and light golden, 10 to 20 minutes. (Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water if onions are browning too quickly.)
Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece in half horizontally. Pull out the soft bread from the center of each piece, leaving 1/2-inch-thick shells. Place soft bread in a food processor or blender and process to form fine crumbs. Measure out 1/2 cup of crumbs (reserve the rest for another use).
Mash garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt with the side of a chef's knife. Transfer to a medium bowl. (Alternatively, mash garlic and salt in a mortar with a pestle.) Add reserved egg yolk and mash with a fork. Whisk in mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, anchovy paste and remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Fold in parsley, olives, reserved chopped eggs and breadcrumbs. Season with pepper.
To assemble sandwiches, spread the caramelized onions over the bread-shell bottoms. Mound the egg mixture over the onions. Top with mesclun (or lamb's lettuce) and replace bread tops.
- Serving: Per sandwich
- Calories: 165
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 6g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 163mg
- Potassium: 184mg
- Sodium: 443mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1