- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces Italian sausage links, hot or sweet
- 2 pounds assorted root vegetables, peeled (see Tip) and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, or rosemary
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped dark, leafy greens, such as beet, turnip or kale
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
To prepare stew: Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausages and cook until browned on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Let cool slightly and cut into 1-inch pieces.
If using parsnips, quarter lengthwise and remove the woody core before dicing. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until barely tender, about 4 minutes. Add root vegetables and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sage (or rosemary) and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a simmer, stirring often.
To prepare dumplings: Meanwhile, whisk whole-wheat flour, cake flour, sage (or rosemary), baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add egg and milk and stir until a stiff batter forms.
When the stew reaches a simmer, stir in greens and the sausage and return to a simmer. Drop the dough, about 1 tablespoon at a time, over the stew, making about 18 dumplings. Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook undisturbed until the dumplings are puffed, the vegetables are tender and the sausage is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 403
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fat: 17g
- Protein: 16g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- Potassium: 744mg
- Sodium: 815mg
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2