- 2 teaspoons tamari, or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine, or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices, then cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 cup Tamari Walnuts, (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup slivered red bell pepper, (2-by-1/4-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoon slivered fresh ginger, (1-by-1/8-inch pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8-10 ounces spinach, (8-10 cups), trimmed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, (1 bunch)
To marinate chicken: Combine 2 teaspoons tamari (or soy sauce), 2 teaspoons rice wine (or sherry), 2 teaspoons honey and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Make Tamari Walnuts. Set aside.
To prepare stir-fry: Stir cornstarch, 1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce), 1 tablespoon rice wine (or sherry) and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil in a small bowl until smooth; set stir-fry sauce aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken, a few pieces at a time, and stir-fry, turning up the heat as necessary to maintain a steady sizzle, until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken and any juices in the pan to a plate. Repeat with another teaspoon oil and the remaining chicken; transfer to the plate.
Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the hot pan and heat briefly over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add ginger and garlic; stir-fry for 20 seconds. Add spinach, about half at a time, turning to combine with the seasonings. Cover and cook just until wilted, 30 to 60 seconds.
Add the reserved chicken (and any accumulated juices) to the pan, along with scallions. Stir the sauce and add it to the pan; stir-fry over high heat until the sauce has thickened, 30 to 60 seconds. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Tamari Walnuts.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 314
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fat: 17g
- Protein: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Potassium: 563mg
- Sodium: 400mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 3 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1