- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, wiped clean
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise, (recipe follows), optional
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coarse-grained mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 whole-wheat buns, (optional)
- Lettuce leaves & tomato slices, for garnish
Place bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Pulse mushrooms in the food processor until finely chopped.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and the mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add to the breadcrumbs and let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise, if using.
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Add ground turkey, egg, dill, mustard, salt and pepper to the mushroom mixture; mix well with a potato masher. With dampened hands, form the mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
Oil the grill rack. Brush the patties with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Grill until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 165°F.) Meanwhile, split buns and toast on the grill for 30 to 60 seconds, if using. Serve burgers on buns, garnished with lettuce, tomato and Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise, if desired.
- Serving: Per serving (without buns
- Calories: 193
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 17g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
- Potassium: 383mg
- Sodium: 622mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2