- 1 pound 90%-lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, preferably New Mexican
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 French rolls, preferably whole-wheat, split and toasted
- 2 roasted Anaheim or poblano peppers, (see Tip)
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 thin slice red onion
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Place beef, 1/4 cup cilantro, onion, scallions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Gently combine, without overmixing, until evenly incorporated. Form into 4 equal patties, about 1/2 inch thick and oval-shaped to match the rolls.
Combine the remaining 1/2 cup cilantro, mayonnaise, lime juice and chipotle in a small bowl.
Peel the roasted peppers, halve lengthwise and remove the seeds.
Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, about 6 minutes per side. Top with cheese and cook until it is melted, about 1 minute more.
Assemble the burgers on toasted rolls with the chipotle mayonnaise, half a roasted pepper, cabbage, tomato and onion.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 416
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fat: 19g
- Protein: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Potassium: 628mg
- Sodium: 695mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 1/2 medium-fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2