By: Tiffany Crate, MS
Of course you're familiar with the statement, "I feel fat." But have you ever considered whether those words even make sense? Is fat a feeling? Trainers often make the mistake of merely teaming up with the client in their fight against their perceived loathsome body parts or their gluttonous habits. Take a closer look at the disparaging (and widely used) language called "fat talk" and its implications on weight management, social interactions, creativity, productivity and performance.
- Define why “fat” is not a feeling.
- Describe what “fat talk” is and the reasons people speak it.
- Recognize the undercurrent of clients’ emotional states when they engage in “fat talk.”
- Discover how “fat talk” disrupts cognitive flow, creativity, performance and the mind-body connection.
- Examine how you might be contributing to the damage that “fat talk” causes to yourself and others.
- Identify how you can gently teach your clients to banish “fat talk.”